Your dental needs change as you age, and the type of care you need as an adult will be different than what you needed as a child or a teenager. Our dentist and team provide adult dentistry to help you care for your teeth and smile throughout your life. We invite you to call Riverview Family Dentistry at 813-630-4079 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Sandra Pojtek and learn more about adult dentistry in Riverview, Florida.
As you continue to age, some physical changes to your mouth may put your teeth at greater risk, and years of daily use can cause your oral structures to become worn down. Adult dentistry helps you care for your smile and maintain good oral health so that you can enjoy a healthier lifestyle as you age. Here are a few tips on ways to keep your mouth and smile healthy:
- Brush and floss twice a day. If you do not like flossing, consider using toothpicks or devices such as a Waterpik. Make sure you are brushing for at least two minutes.
- Rinse your toothbrush thoroughly. Bacteria can linger on your toothbrush and find its way into your mouth, so make sure to clean your toothbrush regularly.
- Minimize your intake of sugary and starchy foods and drinks. If you are drinking a sugary liquid, drink it through a straw, as this will prevent it from “bathing” your teeth.
- Drink water after eating a meal. This will help clean larger deposits of food from your teeth.
- Treat cavities and tooth decay immediately. A little bit of tooth decay will eventually grow, and if your cavity is causing you pain, it is already at a critical and advanced stage.
- Visit the dentist every six months. This minimizes your risk of developing dental problems and helps prevent you from needing extensive and costly dental work in the future.
Our dentist will perform a complete exam of your mouth during your regular appointments. This exam will not only include the usual standard exam, but may also include a check of your bite, joints, teeth, gums and soft tissues. If you wear dentures or another oral appliance, we will also check the condition of that appliance to ensure that it continues to fit and function properly.
If you have any questions about adult dentistry or would like to schedule an appointment with our dentist, please contact our office today.